Geospatial Health Data: Modeling and Visualization with R-INLA and Shiny
Geospatial health data are essential to inform public health and policy. These data can be used to quantify disease burden, understand geographic and temporal patterns, identify risk factors, and measure inequalities. Geospatial Health Data: Modeling and Visualization with R-INLA and Shiny describes spatial and spatio-temporal statistical methods and visualization techniques to analyze georeferenced health data in R. The book covers the following topics:
- Manipulating and transforming point, areal and raster data,
- Bayesian hierarchical models for disease mapping using areal and geostatistical data,
- Fitting and interpreting spatial and spatio-temporal models with the integrated nested Laplace approximation (INLA) and the stochastic partial differential equation (SPDE) approaches, and the R-INLA package,
- Creating interactive and static visualizations such as disease maps and time plots,
- Reproducible R Markdown reports, interactive dashboards, and Shiny web applications that facilitate the communication of insights to collaborators and policymakers.
The book has been published by Chapman & Hall/CRC Biostatistics Series, and can be bought from CRC Press or Amazon.
The online version of the book can be read here, and it is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.
Chapter 10 Spatio-temporal modeling of geostatistical data. Air pollution in Spain
To reproduce the example of this chapter, we need to download the file `dataPM25.csv` which contains PM 2.5 levels at monitoring stations in Spain in years 2015, 2016 and 2017. Data are obtained from the European Environment Agency.
Download PM2.5 data
Chapter 15 Building a Shiny app to upload and visualize spatio-temporal data
To build the Shiny app shown in this chapter, we need to download the folder `appdir`. This folder contains the following subfolders:
- `data` which contains a file with the data of lung cancer in Ohio, and a folder with the shapefile of Ohio
- `www` with an image of a Shiny logo
Download appdir folder